The department of Higher Education Punjab has administrative control of the Higher Education sector in the AJ&K. It manages 174 colleges with general as well as specific programs in 10 districts of the State. It also supervises Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Mirpur Azad Kashmir.
The mandate of HED is as follows:
- College Education General. (Post-Matric to Post Graduate Level)
- Co-ordination of schemes for higher studies abroad.
- Grant of scholarships
- Promotion of scientific research.
- Promotion of Sports.
- Service matters except those entrusted to Services General Administration & Information Department.
- Purchase of stores and capital goods for the Department.
- Improvement of scientific, technological and professional education.
- Making prudent decisions, based on student’s best interests.
- Providing Conductive environment.
- Promoting a culture of learning.
- Developing Moral values.
- Promoting inter culturalism and internationalism and nationalism.
- Delivering a challenging and inquiry-based curriculum by promoting active learning.
- Reviewing the curriculum – goals, methods, resources, assessment.
- Make HED as citizen centric Organization
- Assure prompt Capacity Building/ Provision of Missing Facilities in institutions.
- Revise and Reform the Educational Curriculum as E-text
- Faculty Development Program
- Train and Develop the Professionals/ Faculty who work with students.