The department of Higher Education GoAJK has administrative and financial control of the multi-tier higher education sector of AJK.. It manages 180 colleges with general as well as specific programs in 10 districts across AJK. It also supervises 01 Boards of Intermediate and Secondary Education, 5 public sector universities and 03 autonomous educational / professional institutions of higher education.
The mandate of HED as identified in the Rules of Business, 1974 is as follows:
- College education general (Post Matriculation to Post Graduate Level)
- Coordination of schemes for higher studies abroad
- Grant of scholarships
- Promotion of scientific research
- Organization of all public libraries and to keep liaison with universities, Cadet colleges for improving the standard of research and scholarship, and further development of Education Sector.
- Promotion of sports
- Service matters except those entrusted to Services and General Administration Department GoAJK
- Purchase of stores and capital goods for the department through Planning Cell HED.
- Improvement of scientific, technological and professional education,